SummaryWhen a workflow tries to continue after a task is completed, it sometimes fails with the error: "[WorkflowName] failed to run."
- Navigate to Central Administration >System Settings > Manage servers in this farm
- Identify the server that has the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Workflow Timer Service that is not running the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application Service
- Navigate Application Management > Service Applications > Manage services on server
- Change 'Server' in the top right hand corner to the server identified above
- Stop the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Workflow Timer Service
- Run IIS Reset from a SharePoint Management Shell
- Note: IIS Reset will cause a service outage within the SharePoint farm
More information on this issue can be found here.